Accident and Incident Investigation
Accidents happen to all organisations and these can be both concerning, stressful and difficult to deal with. At AfterAthena we have a team of understanding, professional, non-judgemental and thorough accident investigators. Our experts have investigated accidents and incidents of various seriousness, including death in service, for SME’s to large corporations . Your AfterAthena consultant will support you throughout all stages of the accident or incident investigation, including initial fact finding, contacting the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and going through the RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations) process, if required.
AfterAthena will help conduct interviews, liaise with any enforcement body (when required), pass information on to your company’s legal team, identify the root cause and suggest ways to prevent the accident or incident from happening again in the future.
This enables your business to meet it legal requirement to investigate accidents and incidents under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013. Failure to follow these could result in fines and possibleBook a free consultation
Competent Person Advice
Businesses must meet specific Health & Safety standards outlined in various legislation, such as the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999. Competent advice helps companies understand their legal obligations, implement appropriate policies and procedures, and ensure compliance with these regulations.
At AfterAthena we have a wealth of expertise and knowledge; which means we are able to update you and your organisation of the latest regulations, industry best practices, and emerging trends. We see ourselves as business partners; this means we don’t just send you an update, we take the time to work through changes in legislation with your business, identify how changes will affect your business and how any disruption can be mitigated, whilst keeping your business compliant.Book a free consultation
An Evaluation Audit is a deep dive into your company to see how your organisation is currently performing in terms of legal, regulatory and industry standards. The Evaluation Audit will also create a Gap Analysis to enable your organisation to be able to prioritise any improvements that are required. This enables your organisation to have an honest look at the state of your Health & Safety Management system; which will also enable your AfterAthena consultant to advise on a way forward.Book a free consultation
Fire Risk Assessment
Fire risk assessments are crucial for any business in the UK. Fire safety is a legal obligation and a fundamental aspect of ensuring the wellbeing of your employees, customers, and the protection of your premises. At AfterAthena we have a team of competent and experienced fire risk assessors, who are members of the IFSM (Institute of Fire Safety Managers) and ready to assist your business.
Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, every business in the UK is required to conduct a fire risk assessment. This legislation applies to all non-domestic premises, including offices, shops, factories, warehouses, restaurants, and other commercial properties. Failure to comply with these regulations can result in severe penalties, including fines and potential imprisonment.
A fire risk assessment helps identify potential fire hazards and risks, specific to your business premises. This includes identifying sources of ignition, combustible materials, faulty electrical equipment, inadequate emergency exits, improper storage of flammable substances, and other potential fire risks. By identifying these hazards, you can take appropriate measures to eliminate or minimise them, reducing the likelihood of a fire occurring.
Many insurance providers require businesses to have a fire risk assessment in place as a condition of coverage. Without a fire risk assessment, your insurance premiums may increase, or your policy may be deemed void in the event of a fire-related claim. By having a thorough assessment, you demonstrate your commitment to fire safety, potentially leading to more favorable insurance terms and coverage.Book a free consultation
Health & Safety Policy Creation
Having a comprehensive Health & Safety policy is essential for businesses in the UK. AfterAthena has a team of trained consultants ready to assist your business in both the development and implementation of a bespoke Health & Safety policy that’s right for your business. But what is a Health & Safety policy?
A Health & Safety policy is the initial framework that sets out your Health & Safety strategy, including the business’ key hazards, how these are to be mitigated, and by who. As an employer, you have a legal duty to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of your employees and others affected by your business operations under the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. This legislation requires you to have a Health & Safety policy in place, outlining your commitment to creating a safe and healthy work environment. Your Health & Safety policy will also identify other legal areas that your business must comply with and how you are going to achieve this.Book a free consultation
At AfterAthena we have a team of individuals who have significant experience in implementing and auditing to ISO 45001 standards. This includes migrating certificates from ISO 18001-ISO 45001, taking SMEs through the certification process for the first time, dealing with international certificates and combining them, as well as assisting large companies with their internal audit programs and management review meetings. At AfterAthena we are able to assist you in:
- Carrying out management reviews
- Carrying out SWOT analysis
- Carrying out internal/external audits – this includes checking your audits so you have no issues with the impartiality clause within ISO 45001
- Assisting with your companies legal register
Still not sure if you need ISO 45001? Here are some of the benefits:
- Enhanced safety performance: ISO 45001 provides a systematic framework to identify, assess, and control occupational Health & Safety risks within your business. By implementing this standard, you will establish a structured approach to managing workplace hazards, reducing accidents, injuries, and work-related illnesses. It helps you create a safer work environment, protecting the wellbeing of your employees and other stakeholders.
- Legal compliance: ISO 45001 aligns with legal and regulatory requirements related to occupational Health & Safety. By implementing these standards, you ensure that your company complies with applicable laws and regulations, reducing the risk of legal issues and penalties. It demonstrates your commitment to maintaining a safe and compliant workplace.
- Improved reputation: Achieving ISO 45001 certification showcases your dedication to occupational Health & Safety, enhancing your reputation as a responsible and conscientious organisation. It provides confidence to your employees, customers, suppliers, and other stakeholders that you prioritise their and other people’s wellbeing. A positive safety record can differentiate you from competitors and attract business opportunities.
- Cost savings: Effective implementation of ISO 45001 can lead to cost savings in the long run. By identifying and controlling workplace hazards, you can reduce the likelihood of accidents, injuries, and work-related illnesses. This, in turn, decreases costs associated with medical expenses, compensation claims, insurance premiums, and productivity losses. Furthermore, a focus on occupational Health & Safety can help optimise processes, reduce downtime, and increase efficiency.
- Employee engagement and morale: ISO 45001 accentuates the involvement and consultation of employees in all aspects of occupational Health & Safety. By actively engaging employees in the implementation process, you create a culture of participation and empowerment. This involvement fosters a sense of ownership and accountability, leading to increased employee morale, satisfaction, and productivity.
- Continuous improvement: ISO 45001 promotes a cycle of continual improvement, highlighting the need to monitor, evaluate, and enhance your occupational Health & Safety performance. By regularly reviewing your processes, policies, and procedures, you can identify areas for improvement, address emerging risks, and adapt to changing circumstances. This commitment to ongoing improvement ensures the effectiveness and relevance of your Health & Safety management system.
- Global recognition and market access: ISO 45001 is an internationally recognised standard. Achieving certification demonstrates your company’s compliance with best practices in occupational Health & Safety, making it easier to do business globally. It can provide a competitive advantage, open doors to new markets, and increase your credibility with international partners and clients.
Risk assessments are vital for an organisation, not only are they a legal requirement but they show your employees the key hazards they are likely to face and how the organisation plans for these hazards to be mitigated. At AfterAthena our team has a diverse background and sector knowledge ,who will be able to:
- Create bespoke suitable and sufficient Risk Assessments
- Identify the hazards associated with the tasks you are involved in and suggest reasonably practicable control measures
- Coach these out to your wider team where necessary.
- Identify where different types of assessments are required e.g. COSHH, Manual Handling, Machinery, Fire Safety
Ensuring you have trained and competent staff is crucial to any organisation. AfterAthena offers a suite of training products including e-learning, the ability to create and deliver bespoke training packages based on your organisation as well as IOSH Managing Safely training packages. IOSH Managing Safely training can be delivered either in-house to your organisation only, or you can send delegates along to one of our open courses.
But why should you implement IOSH Managing Safely training? Here’s some reasons why.
- Stronger safety culture: IOSH Managing Safely training helps to establish and promote a robust safety culture within your organisation. It raises awareness and understanding of Health & Safety responsibilities at all levels, from management to employees. This shared commitment to safety fosters a proactive approach to risk management and encourages everyone to take ownership of their Health & Safety responsibilities.
- Reduced accidents and incidents: By providing employees with the knowledge and skills necessary to identify and control workplace hazards, IOSH Managing Safely training can significantly reduce accidents, incidents, and near misses. It equips individuals with the ability to assess risks, implement effective control measures, and respond appropriately in emergency situations. Ultimately, this leads to a safer work environment and a decrease in injuries and associated costs.
- Legal compliance: Compliance with Health & Safety legislation is a fundamental responsibility for any business. IOSH Managing Safely training ensures that your employees and managers are aware of their legal obligations, helping you meet regulatory requirements. By implementing this training, you demonstrate a commitment to fulfilling your legal duty to protect the health, safety, and wellbeing of your workforce.
- Improved productivity: A safe and healthy work environment will directly impacts productivity. When employees feel safe and supported, they are more engaged, motivated, and focused on their work. By implementing IOSH Managing Safely training, you empower individuals to contribute actively to maintaining a safe workplace, allowing them to perform their duties efficiently and effectively.
- Cost savings: Investing in Health & Safety training, such as IOSH Managing Safely, can result in long-term cost savings for your organisation. By preventing accidents, injuries, and work-related illnesses, you reduce costs associated with medical expenses, compensation claims, insurance premiums, and productivity losses. The training also helps employees understand the financial implications of poor Health & Safety practices, encouraging them to act responsibly and contribute to cost-effective risk management.
- Enhanced reputation: Organisations that prioritise Health & Safety build a positive reputation among employees, clients, suppliers, and the wider community. Implementing IOSH Managing Safely training demonstrates your commitment to providing a safe and healthy working environment. This enhances your reputation as a responsible employer, potentially attracting and retaining top talent, gaining customer trust, and improving relationships with stakeholders.
- Personal and professional development: IOSH Managing Safely training not only equips individuals with essential Health & Safety knowledge, but also contributes to employees’ personal and professional development. It enhances their understanding of risk management principles, improves decision-making skills, and enables them to contribute more effectively to Health & Safety initiatives. This training can also serve as a stepping stone for career advancement in Health & Safety roles.
For some businesses managing Health & Safety can be a challenge, especially if you don’t have an in-house team or it’s added as an extra responsibility to someone’s role. Our fixed-fee Health & Safety support allows you to fulfill your legal obligations with confidence, while saving you valuable time and money.
By partnering with AfterAthena you can have peace of mind, knowing that your compliance is in the hands of a highly skilled and certified Health & Safety consultant. Our consultants bring extensive experience in risk management ensuring that your organisation is well-equipped to handle safety challenges.
Support you can trust
We have the expertise to help you simplify complex Health & Safety legislation, find workable solutions to challenges, and protect your organisation from the rising cost of non-compliance. AfterAthena is:
- Approved by a Primary Authority
- A team of dedicated specialists with recognised qualifications
- Filled with experts who possess genuine hands-on experience of managing risk
- Able to provide cost certainty with our unlimited, fixed-fee model
What's included in our Health & Safety support
Who you'll be working with
Neil Hughes-HutchingsHead of Health & Safety
Jane PinfoldHealth & Safety Consultant
Andy EllisHealth & Safety Consultant
Gary BuckettHealth & Safety Consultant
Humza MasoodHealth & Safety Consultant
Kenny ScottHealth & Safety Consultant
Already have a small or big team?
In our line of work, think change constantly. From legislative developments to new legal precedents and more, we’re here to keep you up to date on the latest news. Below you’ll find our most recent news, in addition to advice on how to make your work life easier.
Your own dedicated team of legal experts and tools to manage people issues compliantly makes our fully outsourced service perfect for those without in-house support.Learn More
Hands-on consultancy combined with the latest technology and ER advice is the perfect solution for small teams looking to improve HR process and ensure Compliance with employment.Learn More
In our line of work, things change constantly. From legislative developments to new legal precedents and more, we're here to keep you up to date on the latest news. Below you'll find our most recent news, in addition to advice on how to make your work life easier.
01st Dec 2023Blog HR
The latest in news and expert insights
Sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date and receive the latest news, insights and guides from AfterAthena.